Oud is a perfumed substance that is increasingly being used in perfumes for men offered by the most famous labels. Middle Eastern in origin, Oud (also known as Agarwood) is the resinous wood of a particular species of tree caused due to an infection. It has been used over thousands of years, mostly in traditional perfumes and as incense. These days, however, this powerfully fragrant substance is also used in many contemporary perfumes which try to blend Eastern and Western sensibilities.
It is no small task to select the right Oud perfume since there are so many options available and each fragrance is very unique. You can look for a blend that suits your personality and lifestyle. The following tips will be of use to you:
• A perfume that is a blend of Oud with patchouli and rose in addition to hints of leather and dried fruits has a very sensual and rich feel. This blend is a fairly strong one and should only ever be worn by a mature man who has the confidence to carry it off.
• Oud also pairs very well with spicy and fruity fragrances to create a powerfully masculine fragrance. This too is suitable for special occasions when one is trying to woo a romantic partner.
• A less masculine yet equally compelling scent can be made when Oud is paired with vanilla, white rose and saffron with notes of sandalwood.
• Simple blends containing Oud, pepper and vanilla are very sophisticated and modern. They have an overwhelmingly woody fragrance with underlying notes of spice.
• Oud goes very well with amber which gives a warm note to a perfume and osmanthus, a flower with a very light and fresh fragrance that reminds one of peaches and apricots. The overall blend is a highly complex one that you could wear to important social occasions.
Keep in mind that Oud is a very costly ingredient and that any perfume that contains it will therefore be very expensive as well. Do check that the perfume you buy is made of real Oud oil instead of synthetic ingredients since there will be a marked difference in quality. Any perfume containing this ingredient will have a powerful aroma that takes a long time to develop when it comes in touch with your skin and you should therefore avoid using it in large quantities at one go. All in all, an Oud perfume is a very good buy because of its masculine nature.